I've been trying to use up some of the ingredients in my freezer and cabinets, and thus, creating some new recipes. Sometimes that turns out well and sometimes, well, it's a disaster and goes right into the trash. Fortunately, today's lunch was a success.
As a kid, Granny would make my brother and I quesadillas for lunch and we would take them out to the barn to eat them. They were just cheese and a tortilla, but we loved them. We especially loved eating them out in the hay barn (more about making hay here). I may have broken a glass plate once (oops!), so after that we got paper plates all the time when food went to the barn.
I love barbecue chicken pizza (especially the California Pizza Kitchen thin crust version...yum!), so I was thinking, "Would that work with a quesadilla?" I had no idea how it would turn out.
BARBECUE CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
Ingredients: (for one)
- 2 Tortillas
- Barbecue sauce
- 1/4 onion, diced
- Chicken, diced
- Lots of cheese
- Heat up the George Foreman Grill (or a frying pan or however you usually make quesadillas)
- Spray it with non-stick cooking spray
- Add a 10" tortilla
- Spread barbecue sauce on half of it (I just used a little since I didn't know how it would turn out)
- Dice 1/4 of an onion and add some to the half with barbecue sauce
- Add cheese
- Dice cooked chicken and add it on top of the cheese
- Add more onion
- Add a little more cheese
- Fold the tortilla over
- Lower the lid on the George Foreman Grill
- Cook it until it's melted
- Take it off the grill
- Let it sit for a few minutes, then cut it up
This twist on the traditional quesadilla not only tastes great and has a little kick to it, but also provides calcium, protein, vitamin D and lots of other nutrients. Delicious and good for you...now there's a Sunday lunch you can feel good about.
Post a Comment